This is not how the tag is used. It is often used for sports halls of sports centers, some examples can be found in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/leisure%3Dsports_hall#Examples_in_the_OSM_database . The wiki page for sports_hall says "A sports hall can often be found on a campus of a school or in a sports centre."

Recently you added to the wiki page for sports_centre that sports halls inside of sports centres don't need a leisure tag if the centre is mapped as an area. OTOH it says "Use building=* for any buildings which are included within the centre. These can be given different sport and leisure tags." AFAIK the sport tag always needs a physical tag. Is that recent addition compatible with that? Is building=* a physical tag for sport=*? It is not listed in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sport#Associated_tags .

I think it would be too difficult for mappers to have different tagging rules for sports halls inside and outside of sports centres and depending on whether the sports center is mapped as a node or an area.

If you do not recommend to tag a sport hall inside of a sports centre with a leisure tag how do you recomend to tag a fitness studio inside of a sports centre and why?