On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 at 04:33, António Madeira via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

- is ref:xxx=* a good solution to add the official reference code/number?

No.  But that's what we have.  With hindsight we'd have done it
differently.  But
it's now been used so often it would be very difficult to fix all the
existing uses.

More importantly, heritage/historic tagging was started by the Historic
Place
project and they're the only ones (that I know of) that make use of those
tags.
They're the ones you'd have to convince to alter their code to handle your
proposed change.

- the same for xxx:inscription_date=*. Wouldn't it be more consistent to
> use heritage:xxx:inscription_date=* ?

See above.

- we've adopted the tag protection_title=* to define the protection
> category of the heritage, although the German wiki clearly states this is
> used for natural areas only. Would it be better to create another tag or is
> OK to adapt this one, since this is also a protected feature?

It's a protected feature but not a protected natural area.  The wiki page
for it says it requires boundary=national_park or boundary=protected_area so
it shouldn't be used this way.  That said, other people have used it that
way.
Would xxx:criteria fit your usage?

--
Paul