This video explains it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uj6uR3fp-U

Basically IPFS is a protocol, just like how http is protocol.
IPFS is meant to create a torrent like network of data. Every piece of data
is linked to a hash which identifies that piece of data.
Anybody can help host data on the IPFS network. (so that means that people
with spare resources like bandwidth or storage can contribute).
Using IPFS directly is maybe not the best solution for this. But there MANY
(been doing more research the last couple days) platforms that are built ON
TOP of IPFS.
Such an example is Textile which have a 'bucket' system similar to how
Amazon has S3 bucket storage. https://docs.textile.io/buckets/
Because it is decentralised by nature, you don't pay directly for storage.
You can however pay companies or individuals (or soon the network itself
like a cryptocurrency) to help host those files.

But I think with a community aspect like Openstreetmap has, I wouldn't be
surprised if there were people who would want to help create this storage
pool or system

My explanation was simplified but hopefully helps you understand what IPFS
has in terms of potential

Cheers,
Thibault