Thanks for the comments Hans.

 > As Shawn and David, I think these types of actions make sense. It's
 > dangerous to think that "one size fits all."

Agreed, but could you elaborate on your reasons? You didn't explain why
it is dangerous.

By "one size fits all", do you mean assuming everyone should only use MVC?

 > But
 > there are exceptions where I think it's perfectly okay to use the
 > database access actions in JSP pages, e.g.
 > * for a small, company-internal application, when no one with enough
 >   Java knowledge is around to develop servlets. I believe this is a
 >   very common scenario that is often overlooked when programmers
 >   discuss "the right way" to develop web applications. The alternatives
 >   in a case like this are likely that the app doesn't get developed at
 >   all, or that it's done with JDBC code is scriptlets, or (gasp!)
 >   using ASP and Visual Basic code.

Are you saying the these JSTL tags are easier to learn then the
Java/Servlets required?

What about understanding SQL and XML. Are you suggesting a developer
would understand these enough to use them, but not with a programming
language such as Java?

What do you mean by "the right way"? Are you saying when developers talk
about how to develop, "the right way" is equivalent to the only way that
should be done?

Overall your opinion seems to be the JSTL tags would just be easier and
accomplish the same thing. I tend to think they are not easier at all,
just a different approach.  Do you think it is wise to promote the use
of these tags to new users? Especially when it may result in a JSTL
skillset compared to a sound understanding of what most people consider
the best method of developing JSP/Servlet Web Applications.

 > * for any simple application, when its clear that it will not go
 >   through major extensions; using just JSP pages with action elements
 >   is probaly very cost-efficive in this case (lower development time).

Probably? Is it quicker for you or any projects you have helped on?

I have a hard time believing this would ever occur. Certainly if you
have to train developers the what and how of MVC then it would take more
time, but if the skillset exists certainly not.

 > * for prototyping an idea; if the proof-of-concept is successful,
 >   the app can be redesigned with a servlet Controller, filters, and all
 >   the other goodies after getting some experience with the basic
 >   application functionality.

This is another argument about development time? What about a MVC style
design pattern is so time consuming?

 > As Shawn, I also see the URL actions as a perfect fit with the View
 > in MVC, no matter if you use servlets or not. XML processing can

About the URL components. The import action seems nice, but not really
practical. Is there a good case where it would be desired to directly
import external content in to a web app? If the content needs to be
further manipulated it makes sense Java would be desired to properly do
it, so importing some XML, perhaps from a Web Service, is something that
would much better be done by a Java class.

Do you think the url tag is more helpful then a custom anchor-like tag?
e.g. <a href="<c:url/>">link text</a> versus
  <c:a url="http://...";>link text</a>
The custom anchor-like tag syntax is cleaner, and it would be easy to
code any URL rewriting logic in to the custom tags setter method.

What is a good use for the redirect tag?

Cheers,

Jayson Falkner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]