On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Borislav Iordanov wrote:

> In short, at least in my experience, this presentation only layer
> where data is only formatted to look nice is a myth. Or where it is
> not a myth, the high decoupling is somewhat artificial and creates an
> unnecessary complexity at least as difficult to maintain as the
> mixture of programming and presentation constructs in a single file.

In general, you might be right that such a methodology isn't as common as
some people claim it is, but it's much more than a myth.  At Yale, we
developed a relatively large web application (for "network registration,"
used routinely by about 10000 users to register and update DHCP entries
and other similar information) using this methodology and proto-JSTL
concepts.  Specifically, the Manager of Student Computing -- a
nonprogrammer with enough technical understanding to work with HTML and
<form> elements in particular -- designed the presentation and user
interface with minimal day-to-day help from me, whereas I played the role
of the back-end programmer providing business logic and JSTL-like tag
libraries.

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)