Hi Jayson,

Yes, I've used the JSTL SQL tags in a bioinformatics web application
(managing users, experiments, experiment results, protocols, publications, a
complex search on everything). There is a lot of UI logic related to
retrieving data from the database in the JSPs, done with the SQL tags. And
the JSPs are quite clean and maintainable. However, the situation is a bit
different than the common case because I used our UI component tag library
TICL, which you kindly added to the JspInsider listings a while ago and
which lets you place UI components (TableView, TreeView,  forms etc..)
through tags in the JSP. In TICL, the tags deal only with the functional
aspect of a UI component, MVC is implemented at the component level and you
define the look&feel of the components (their HTML/DHTML rendering)
elsewhere. So the combination of that with JSTL with its expression
language, SQL and logic tags yielded JSPs with almost no HTML nor Java code
in them.  A big part of this application simply did not need any beans on
top of the DB, the cost of doing that extra layer was not justified. And
it's not just a prototype and it's not that small, and the web design is
still separated from UI and business logic.

Cheers,
Boris

Borislav Iordanov
Kobrix Software http://www.kobrix.com