On 7/2/20 12:31 am, Andrew Harvey wrote:

While that's true, I don't see that a reason not to try. In my eyes it's no different to someone who maps out all the shops in a retail area, which also will go out of date quickly.

Not really a good example as I would also question the utility of mapping shops. Everything we map has a finite life but somethings have a life span so short that, given the number of active mappers we have in Australia, most of the time they spend on the map is going to be while they are incorrect.

I have mostly mapped shops by deleting them once they have gone. I don't bother putting a shop on the map unless it is something I think is going to be around for a while ie: a supermarket.

Same thing with landuse=construction. Unless it is something I want to map because I know what the development name is for example, I don't map those either.

The problem here is that a large amount of mapping is going to be done at once by people that I suspect are not regular OSM contributors and the expectation is that it's OK we can deal with fixing up their work.