I probably should have qualified my comment as I am dealing solely with tracks
within National Parks (at this stage). I know there are tracks outside of
National Parks where such bike restrictions do not apply.

Cheers - Phil

From: Little Maps <mapslit...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 3 February 2022 7:19 PM
To: Phil Wyatt <p...@wyatt-family.com>; OSM-Au <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Path versus Footway

Hi all, thanks for a really informative discussion. I’m puzzled by the comments
I’ve copied below. I’m uncertain when legislative defaults apply (and hence
explicit access tagging isn’t required) and when tagging is needed. In the
instance mentioned below, bicycle = no should not be added to urban footways in
Vic as routers etc should work that out for themselves based on state
legislation. (Or they could look at the entry in the state’s boundary relation,
but it seems agreed that few data consumers do that).

On bushwalking tracks in Tassie, bikes are banned on walking paths because
they’re classed as vehicles. Again this is legislated and, as I interpreted the
comments below, it’s suggested that data users should know this from
legislation, and hence not need explicit access tags for bikes, unless access
on a specific path deviates from the legislation.

However, bikes are allowed on footpaths (footways) in Tassie, so the same
features (highway=footways) is, I assume, subject to 2 different legislations
in the same state, depending on whether it’s an urban footpath or a bushwalking
track. I’m curious how a data consumer / router would know which role a footway
(or a path) was playing unless access restrictions were added to all?
(Especially if it’s agree that few if any consumers use the National or state
access guidelines, as was stated earlier). Isn’t it impossible for them to draw
any conclusion unless tags are added? Or is the consensus that urban footpaths
(footways) don’t need access tags but bush walking paths (footways) do?

Hope this make sense, thanks again, Ian

“ > Mmm, certainly bikes are banned on walking tracks (they are classified as
vehicles in tas and need to stick to 'roads') (from Phil)

Hi. This sounds a bit like the issue a couple of months ago with the User who
wanted to tag all footpaths in Victoria with bicycle=no and the community
consensus was that it wasn't OSM's role to document legislation, the data
consumers could worry about what to do with cyclists and footpaths and OSM
would concentrate on ground truth. Tony. “