def: can have conditions:

“def:highway=footway[walking_track=yes];access:bicycle”=no

(I’m not proposing this particular tagging scheme, this is just an example)

So if there is any tag on your walking track footways, or paths, or whatever
that can be used to distinguish them, you could use that as a condition for the
default value.

The issue with this is that we are now quickly moving into territory where it
would be essential that these def tags are read and interpreted by data
consumes for the data to make any sense… so that would be a problem.

It’s a difficult balancing act between “don’t tag local law” and “this is
exactly the explicitly specified access for this way, even if it’s derived from
local law instead of any physical signs or barriers”.