Hi All,

After I managed to receive the official streetmap data from my
town-administration, I'm now quering the neighbouring towns for the same
thing.

Now, IMHO, what would help to persuade the administrations is a bit more
legal security on the use of this information. After all, this
information does also have a commercial value (when they are also
licenced to the commercial streetmap companies) so it might be usefull
to provide the same kind of thing.

So, I don't know how the discussion on the "vzw" is going, but perhaps
one of the things that I would concider it to be for it, would be to
draw up a formal licence-agreement (perhaps you can ask legal support
from one of the other "open-source" related organisation on this) and to
be the party which who (say) a city council or a town's administration
can sign this agreement.

IMHO, the license would need to contain something like this: (this is
just a rough idea, I tried to balance the rights of both parties as much
as possible).
- the city-council is copyright-owner of the information and remains it
to be; including in furher copies of this information
- the city-council permit the information to be entered into the
openstreetmap-server, under the open-documentation licence
- no commercial use of this information is allowed (this would stop the
commercial companies from copying the streetmap-information from the
openstreetmap-server instead of asking (read: pay for) it from the
city-councils.

It would then be usefull if the vzw would enter this kind of information
into the openstreetmap-server. The situation now is that -as I am the
person who received the informaton from my city-council and who uploaded
it- if any legal problems would arrize this would all trace-back to me!

So, if information received from thirth-parties would be uploaded by an
account which is owned by the vzw; this would also safeguard the
volonteers who do the work from being legally draged into a court-case
if problems would arrize (e.g. with the commercial streetmap-companies).

I think, if you have an organisation that works with volonteers, it's
always your responsability to make sure these volonteers are as much
"protected" as possible. (this is a bit in the same line as the message
I posted earlier on assurence for volonteers who take part in a
streetmapping-event).

Any comments or questions welcome!

Cheerio!
Kr. Bonne.