On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> I just checked at it looks like you are right. To bad the license-system
> does not allow (e.g.) the user to select between a "commercial use
> barred" or "commercial use allowed" license per data-element they enter.
>
> After all, on everything that is upload is some metadata attached, so it
> would be perfectly possible to encode this distiction inside the database.
> The
>

> But, besides this point, I still think it would be interesting to have
> some kind of formal license-agreement that a thirth-party can sign (even
> it just is a copy of the normal license of the openstreetmap-project
> adding "we provide out data to 'openstreetmap.be vzw' who have to right
> to enter them into the openstreetmap-server on out behalve.
>

> A lot of organisation like some kind of formal agreement they can look
> at, be verified by their "legal department" and be signed by the
> "schepen" or somebody else.
> (it's actually a great opportunity to invite the press and get some
> coverage for the openstreetmap-project).
>

> Perhaps somebody should contact an organisation like the FFII to get
> some advice on this; as they probably have more experience with this
> kind of legal issues.

Hi Kristoff,

Interesting move all together. Thanks for taking the time to obtain the
data! As already mentioned by others in this thread, from the current
state the licensing terms you have obtained for the data so far, it seems
this data is not allowed to go into OSM. Pitty for that.

The agreement should currently be compatible with CC-BY-SA and at soon
(hopefully in 6-months or so-ish) with the ODbL license which. The
ODbL-license should seriously be taken into consideration with regard to
you situation, when you want to start negotiating with the commune.

There was an State-Of-The-Map discussion about this in Amsterdam this July
called "The Big License Panel Debate" at 14:00 on the July 11th), of which
there seems to be no video nor audio footage present as far as I could
see. During that dicussion it was stated that the likeliness for entities
with valuable data for OSM, would be more interested in opening data to
OSM when the ODbL would take effect instead of using the CC-BY-SA license
the OSM project currently uses.

For licensing discussions with regard to the OSM project (current and
future licenses) there is a fine international mailinglist
legal-t...@openstreetmap.org, which could help to iron out a possible set
of alternatives that would allow your data to be imported into OSM. Go
chat with them too to try and get a better understanding in this case, as
far as you have gotten into this. Just sign-up and pose the situation you
are in. It could be very worthwhile to know what response you get from the
legal-talk list.

Kind regards,
Ivom