The old recommendation was to not split roundabouts. It makes it easier for
the software to see it's a roundabout when it's closed, and it makes
routing stuff (like counting the exit number) easier.

However, that recommendation changed on the wiki some years ago (AFAICS,
without discussion). So now both situations happen (complete roundabout as
part of a route, and split roundabouts), and tools have to be able to
handle both situations.

For me, the disadvantage of split roundabouts is that you can't modify them
as easily. When it's a complete circle, it's easy to scale it, rotate it,
and make it perfectly circular. With split roundabouts, this becomes harder.

I still prefer complete circles for most cases.

Regards,
Sander