On 11-12-03 10:18 , Gerald A wrote:

I think there might have been a misread here -- I don't believe Richard
was saying that we should only _use_ aerials

Nor did I mean that. If you're doing a foot and GPS survey of somewhere, and there's nothing on OSM, and there's no useful aerials or other guides (no naughty tracing or deriving from maps, remember), what guides have you got? You can put your little blob of a lake and some roads down, but who'd want to add to your squiggles in the wilderness?

Yeah, I've been troubled by imports (if I see the RCAF Port Albert runways appear again, I'll %^%&%^#*%$W) but mostly, they're where I start. Different strokes, but the days of the big blank map are gone.

[Gone, of course, unless the idea to delete content originally placed by non-New Licence mappers but modified by New Licence mappers goes ahead ... you'll get you blank back and no mistake.]

cheers,
 Stewart