On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote:

Richard,

Do you have a link to Import Guidelines that are specific to Canvec data?

I think http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec needs to have some specific guidelines for canvec imports.

In particular

1. A caution to avoid importing coastlines or large lakes unless you have substantial experience importing canvec and understand how coastlines get generated/rendered in OSM. We have had enough problems/complaints with coastlines that I think we need a specific caution.

2. A warning to avoid duplicate features. (one might argue that this is obvious but the generic import guidelines don't actually mention this and clearly people are importing a lot of duplicate features)

3. To check keeprite (or something similar) after your import so you can find/fix some of the problems you will create.

If no one objects I will update the above mentioned wiki page to reflect include those warnings.

Steve

Bernie.
--
Bernie Connors, P.Eng