Really good idea!

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Singer [mailto:ssinger...@sympatico.ca]
Sent: 4 décembre 2011 09:23
To: Connors, Bernie (SNB)
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] import complaints

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote:

> Richard,
>
>       Do you have a link to Import Guidelines that are specific to Canvec
> data?

I think http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec needs to have some specific
guidelines for canvec imports.

In particular

1. A caution to avoid importing coastlines or large lakes unless you have
substantial experience importing canvec and understand how coastlines get
generated/rendered in OSM.  We have had enough problems/complaints with
coastlines that I think we need a specific caution.

2. A warning to avoid duplicate features.  (one might argue that this is
obvious but the generic import guidelines don't actually mention this and
clearly people are importing a lot of duplicate features)

3.  To check keeprite (or something similar) after your import so you can
find/fix some of the problems you will create.

If no one objects I will update the above mentioned wiki page to reflect
include those warnings.

Steve