Richard Mann wrote:
> If only it were as black and white as that. In practice it's a continuum
> of usage, maintenance and signposting, not a fact=yes / fact=no.

We have a pretty good rule of thumb, which is "Can an independent mapper
verify the information?". If there's no way of doing so without being
let into the secret by some group of people, it's not verifiable.

> if joe public wants
> to put information in, then you need to find somewhere for them to put
> it, not tell them to go away.

Here's where we do fail. We shouldn't tell them to go away, but we
should be better at telling them "Here's how you present your
information based on OSM maps and data". Many questions about putting
unsuitable data into the main OSM DB arise because there doesn't seem to
be an easy way of producing overlays.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)