I think the data we are collecting breaks down into two sorts:
1) where stuff is
2) what stuff is

The "where stuff is" is the hard part - it is done by trogging round with a
GPS (and deciphering the resulting track), memory from visiting, or (least
hard, but subject to systematic error) tracing from the underlays. All of it
requires some judgement. If someone messes this up it's a pain to fix unless
you get there in time to simply reverse the changes; otherwise you're back
to scratch.

Whereas the "what stuff is" is easier to source (and multi-source). It's
easier to use the power of crowds.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that I think there could happily be
newbie limits on editing/deleting (as opposed to adding) "where stuff is"
info, but I think we could be a bit more cavalier about "what stuff is"
info. I don't think we need a huge construct of newbie-edit reviews. Either
ban newbies outright from editing/deleting locational stuff more than a few
metres, or develop a tool that flags such edits for review (to the newbie in
the first instance, to make them think twice). Turning off these warnings
could even be entirely in the user control - once they've found it in an
obscure corner of the editor's settings.

To summarise the summary - we are not wikipedia, we have major class
differences in the types of info we collect, and we should use that, rather
than copying wikipedia's approach.

Richard