On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:15:23 +0100, Peter Miller wrote:
> I suggest that this should be done at the level of a change-set, not
> at the feature level. There would a change-set patrol page/rss feed
> with an indication of which pages have been patrolled and by whom.
> Change-sets can either be approved or challenged. A challenge might be
> on the basis that it was an honest edit by an inexperienced
> contributors or blatant spam etc. There would then need to be a
> process to review challenged changesets further and resolve any issues.

I like this approach, but have a slight worry about the time it would
require. This isn't to say "don't do it", just "let's work this bit out".

In areas where you have a sufficient ratio of active users to changesets
this would work nicely with the right tools. Maybe, Peter, your OSM Mapper
tool (which I love - http://www.itoworld.com/static/osmmapper) could
indicate whether a user is a long-time contributor or quite a new
contributor? Can we have a set of flags on user accounts to say "new user"
for the obvious and "under probation" for users who have submitted
changesets that were challenged and reverted?

What about areas where we have very few mappers? Who will spot vandalism in
small pacific islands, or countries quite new to the OSM scene, or even
remote rural parts of Germany and the UK? Some vandalism - accidental or
deliberate - is very obvious, like a crazy railway line running all over a
town. Other vandalism could be more subtle.

I've never quite worked out why you'd want to join the teams who monitor
revisions on Wikipedia, it looks pretty dull to me! But great if people
want to do that.

Cheers,
Tom