@tim waters -- can I assume from the content of you email that you either
wrote, or at least understand the code and maths running on warper?

If so, if you have time, could you please take a look at the technology
implemented in Panorama Tools / Hugin (I'd be happy to help you with it as a
user of the software) -- it searches images for comon points, and
automatically adds control points between images. this is not directly
usable as control points in the sense that warper uses them, but I get the
feeling that it's the closest to viable solution i've seen so far. If these
2 concepts were knited together (no pun intended) a managable number of
proper contol points could be added accross a whole city to acuratly rectify
it as opposed to the 20*600 that are needed as is.

Could I also request the adition of control lines, which could be added on
roads -- as such roads could be added as controls, even where the ends are
not accessable -- even automatically, or is that a pipe dream?

Also, can you inform me, does warper have support for correcting barel and
pincusion distrotions?, I'm not sure if 3rd order polynomials are able to
handle that. in the case of this survey, I chose a lens that had very low
distortion for that reason, but other users may not have that option.

@peter miller -- you want the whole data set, you can either post me a
memory card, and i can post it back or i can post you some dvds. formats
available are:

high quality jpeg, not sure exactly, but should fit on a DVD;
tif/zip 6GB;
raw 10GB (not recomended as I've had to contract stretch due some perspex
induced contrast issues)

Thanks,
JR