Round here (Cumbria), that would have sheep on it. When I did school geography, it was called Rough Pasture.

Roger

On 16/12/2019 14:13, Martin Wynne wrote:
I'm happy to use "farmland" to mean cultivated land, whether for cash crops, pasture for livestock, haymaking, any farming activity.

But I keep finding myself on land for which none of the available tags really seem to apply. There seems to be one missing. For example:

 http://85a.uk/bredon_960x640.jpg

Beyond the hedge is clearly farmland. But I don't think any of farmland/grassland/scrub/meadow properly describes the foreground area. I believe the technical term is "unimproved grassland" but I would most likely call it "hillside". Here is some more of it:

 http://85a.uk/bredon1_960x640.jpg

Is it perhaps "heath"? That usually means an open level area of "heather", on acidic sandy soil. The wiki says: "don't use heath for areas primarily covered by non-woody plants like grasses - use natural=grassland or landuse=meadow instead".

cheers,

Martin.