On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:35, Russ Nelson<r...@cloudmade.com> wrote:
> Suddenly top-posting we are why?

The day gmail stops putting two blank lines and the cursor at the top
of the message is the day I stop accidentally top-posting because I
hit "reply", dash off a message, and send.

> On Jul 17, 2009, at 9:29 AM, David Lynch wrote:
>
>> Because I and numerous other mappers have put a hell of a lot of time
>> and effort into getting things right, and I don't want anyone breaking
>> it because an algorithm assumes it isn't right.
>
> Well, I guess that's an argument for only editing data still owned by
> that DaveHansen character.
>
> I appreciate that you have invested significant time and effort into
> getting a particular area into good shape.  But it seems to me that
> being able to fix 50 times the area you've already edited, at the cost
> of some damage to your area, is something that you would appreciate is
> a good thing.  Or is your concern not the map as a whole, but instead
> the portion of it that you've edited.

It was mostly the original wording of "disconnect everything that
isn't a motorway_link." Taking that literally, you end up with a lot
of places where things would be broken needlessly (because they've
been verified to be correct.) Reduce the possibility of a false
positive in your identifications, and I'd be a lot more okay with it.
I'd probably settle for disconnecting nodes where no way using it
ends, whether or not it has been edited.
--
David J. Lynch
djly...@gmail.com