On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Tom Bloom <tombloo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Summary, sort of. Thanks for all comments!
>
> There is no consensus, but what I've gleaned is that:

I believe you are reading into what was said to prove your point.

> -If the driveway is long and wrong, or short and inside an urban area,
> delete it.

Long story short: you are going to delete this guys hard work because
you do not like how it is rendered.

Longer story long:  One of the best things about OSM is the level of
detail that can be achieve.  One of the best example areas in the US
on the top 100K meta tiles
http://fred.dev.openstreetmap.org/density/
 is in east coast.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?box=yes&bbox=-78.662109375,35.7821707032661,-78.6181640625,35.8178131586966#map=19/35.84268/-78.65369
Look at that beautiful detail!.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1938107848
There's even detail that's not rendered.

What's even more impressive about this area is that much of the map
detail was entered in after TIGER.  Yes someone entered it by hand.
So are you going to delete this area too just because you don't like
how it is renedered?  If other maps do not include features are you
going to delete that too?
I do not understand why you'd want to take the map density backwards
just because you do not like how it is rendered.

> Paul and Kevin say I should fix them. Easily said, but there are are too
> many and there are whole towns needing alignment, and endless roads
> connecting them that don't remotely resemble reality. No data is better than
> wrong data.
>
> -Change to hwy=service, and service=driveway. I agree.
>
> -Regarding access=private. If there is a gate, it's private. If it is a lane
> to a farmhouse, it may or may not be. There are any number of reasons. The
> electric meter reader. FedEx. Someone who is lost. The vet. I think the
> private tag should be removed, unless the lane is posted private. I've never
> seen one in decades of biking country roads. Farmers love company. If there
> is an address issue, it is normally the mail box at the main road, not at
> the house.
>
> -Shared lane. If there is more than one house, the lane should be fixed.
>
> -Living Streets. This is a distinct entity and not something decided by OSM.
> They are decided by local administration, and OSM should tag them only after
> that. Paul suggests that there could be townhouses at the end of rural lanes
> in rural Oregon. They are farmhouses and the tag is wrong. Tho I do prefer
> the wrong green tag to the wrong red tag :-).
>
> -Don't map for the renderer. Agreed, but it seems reasonable to try to make
> the map look good. Mapnik is the face of OSM for most people. Paul again
> suggests that I should make my own render. Why? I've spent countless hours
> aligning rivers, roads, and rails with Mapnik as the guide. This makes the
> map look better and may appeal more to prospective users.

So if we follow your logic these features are next on your list:
Google doesn't map bridges that means delete
Google doesn't map leisure=pitch or sports fields that means delete.
Google doesn't map leisure=playground that means delete.
Google doesn't map highway=crossing that means delete.
On and on it goes...
Hence your idea of what should be displayed on osm has major roads and
rivers that you have mapped.

Like dude!  You are part of a community.  There are other opinions of
what should be in the map database.  That's why we don't map for the
rendering.  Other people take that data and create their versions of
the map .  They will not be able to do that if you remove all the data
based on a formula where you do not see the another map that presents
the data or how a certain map looks.

Your view may explain what Pascal noted in his research: "Also, the
previously discussed pattern which depicts a contributor loss of
almost 70% over the years is again visible."
http://neis-one.org/2014/08/osm-activity-2014/

Why would any mapper want to contribute hours and hours of time to OSM
just to have someone with a wild hair delete all their work because
they don't like how it renders?  Put the beer down and sober up before
you wreck someone else's work!

Regards,
Greg