On 2015-09-30 08:34, Greg Morgan wrote:
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:
I run into this as well. If I don't see anything close to the way on
imagery I definitely have very little problem deleting them.

I also question the access=private tagging although not because of the
rendering. I mean technically it is correct I suppose but if you are
trying to route to an address at the end of a long driveway, the
router should tell you to go down the driveway. Tagging it as

If this really is true, then perhaps you should file a bug report.  If
I accurately map a residential gated community with access=private,
show the gates, then wouldn't that be more valuable to set what
expectations are required to get into the area.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/16842943#map=18/33.78757/-111.98892

Toby is suggesting that service=driveway should imply access=destination unless otherwise specified. The wiki is full of statements that one tag implies another tag. For example, highway=motorway_link implies surface=paved. [1]

But you do have a point: a router could route over access=private and access=destination if there's no other possible route, yet avoid access=private otherwise (to avoid riding roughshod over a private drive that happens to make a good shortcut). The user interface would have to make clear that the route includes a private drive, similar to the toll road warnings that some routers give.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=motorway_link

Who are these data consumers that you speak of?  If they are
freeloaders, I could careless about them.  One of shifts that I have
noticed over the years is that we appear to no longer care about what
mappers do or how we improve the ecosystem for mappers but I hear all
about data consumers.  The data consumers need to adapt to OSM and not
the other way around.

Data consumers are part of the OSM ecosystem; we don't map in a vacuum. All the renderers and routers available from the osm.org front page are data consumers, after all. For better or worse, renderers and routers already "adapt to OSM" by normalizing diverse tagging styles and preprocessing away common errors. (A highly opinionated data consumer would fail to support a good chunk of the dataset.) That's not to say the current crop of routers is unimpeachable, but I don't think they should be viewed in an adversarial light.

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us