Martijn van Oosterhout schrieb:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Dave Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  It's feature X that's too weakly defined. The question you're really
>>  asking here is what is meant by forest? I think most people are
>>  interpreting it as an area of land covered by trees, in which case a
>>  lake is certainly not forest.
>
> This is beginning to sound a lot like "if a road goes through a
> forest, does it split the forest in two?". Is a park with lots of
> footpaths actually many little parks separated by footpaths? You're
> right, this discussion isn't going anywhere useful :)

I remembered that as well :-)

IMHO when using forest as landuse the road doesn't split it, you are on
that road while you are in the forest at the same time. At least that's
how I do it for landuse=residential/idustiral, which aren't split by
roads either.
When there'd be something like natural=trees things would be different.
Because there's either tarmac (road) or trees. Same for lakes and other
features a landuse would encase and a more specific natural wouldn't.

I'm not sure if natural=wood was intended for this, but for me as a
German it's not as catchy as natural=trees would be. (though an explicit
explanation in the wiki could adjust that)

Same for parks. In my terms a park consists of trees, gras, benches,
ways, playgrounds and maybe even some buildings housing a cafe or public
toilets. So leisure=park wouldn't be split by ways. But natural=gras
would be limited by the features (ways) surrounding it.

So IMHO some statement like
"Natural-areas must not interfere/overlay with any other physical feature"*
could clarify this conflict.

regards, Sven

[*] Landuse isn't physical, put this way.