As you said it yourself, a different example. As for national parks,
everything inside its borders belongs to the park. Unless it is explicitly
excluded by some inner (hole :) ) borders. Same goes with the country
borders. I think there are quite a few examples of chunks of a country A's
territory totally surrounded by country B (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclave). And you wouldn't calculate the area
of the country B including those chunks. That's why multipolygon holes are
not a bad idea.

As far as I know, when calculating surface area of a lake, only the
water-covered areas are taken into account (but since I'm no expert in these
matters, correct me if I'm wrong). So lake islands should not be included
(that's where the multipolygon holes come nicely). On the other hand, if you
had a permanently docked museum ship on that lake, it would not be defined
as a hole, but as a polygon with layer=1 and that would be ignored
(/included) in the area calculation.

Igor