mariner wrote:
> hy guys, I signed up yesterday and I haven't got any mail.
>
> At the moment I understand the basics of the  system. But not more.
>
> It's hard I think to learn it in a efficent way. I think the wiki is to
> messy. A clear structure in there would help while doing the first
> steps.. And may some better descriptions about the do's and don't's
> using JOSM would also help..
>
> or are there sch pages and I haven't found them?
>
> cheers

Hi Mariner,

It took me a few days to get started and about a month to get fully up
to speed harvesting and entering data. I started on the main page,
consumed http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
devoured a few months of mailing lists messages in the archive of talk,
tentatively mapped the river that passes my home town with Potlatch.

There certainly is enough information floating around and further it
takes some experimentation, advancing little by little. I use both JOSM
and Potlatch because I think they both have their strengths and
weaknesses, but generally they complement each other well.

It took me a while to develop a mapping style. I tried riding blocks by
bicycle, but that's not very enticing to me. Now I follow some cycle
routes and map all the side streets/paths I encounter. This results in
quite a lot of 'stumps', but I'm sure somebody else or myself later on
will pick up where I left off, wiki style.

Polyglot