Alex
I've made some changes to the lowzoom stylesheet and done some test
rendering.

A small vertical strip in the middle of this tile has been re-rendered with
the new stylesheet: http://b.tah.openstreetmap.org/Tiles/tile/8/67/98.png
(south-west of Cincinnati if you want to look at closer on a slippy map).

I've made the following changes:
1) State borders are thicker
2) Secondary roads are narrower and the colour saturation has been reduced
3) Railway lines are a little blacker.

What do you think?

80n