Steve Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
>convince me that namespacing isn't a good thing (certainly nothing showing
>why it is a bad thing).
>
>> Start to end of section as one way (there may be more than one section in
>> the route, some climbing and some scrambling etc).
>
>I had considered specifying that each pitch (section) must be a different
>way, but concluded that it probably made things unnecessarilly difficult
>since you'd end up with a big cluster of nodes and ways in a very small
>(horizontal) area.  Of course, there is nothing stopping people from
>sticking nodes in the middle of the way if that is sensible for specific
>routes (i.e. ones with a large horizontal component).
>
>> climbing routes are no different.
>
>They are different in the fact that they have a much greater vertical
>component and a much smaller horizontal component to almost any other OSM
>features, which makes handling the data in a 2D environment (such as JOSM,
>Potlatch, etc) more difficult.  This certainly needs to be taken into
>consideration.
>
>> adjectival:gb= (assuming the same route at the same location requires
>> alternative country grading, if it only applies within the country where
>the
>> route is located then the gb would not be required)
>
>Only the British system has the separate adjectival/technical grades -
>other systems have a single grade to describe the route (the exception
>being YDS, which has 3 separate grades to describe different aspects of
>the route).
>
>It is common to list several different grading systems for the same route
>as well - for example, in the UK, sports routes are often given grades for
>both the British and French grading systems.
>
>> Anything that has lots of namespaces, abbreviations or other non-obvious
>> tagging names makes it much more difficult for data contributors to
>easily
>> add tags.
>
>On the contrary, namespaces make it easier to look up the definitions of
>tags, etc. since there is no chance of being confused with identical tags
>from a different context.  I really dislike the way that, without prior
>knowledge, it is impossible to determine the context of the tags if they
>aren't namespaced.
>
>In your example, the context is given by the "footway=climbing" tag.  But
>the only way you know this is providing the context of the other tags is
>by some fairly arbitrary prior knowledge - how do you know that the
>context wasn't provided by the "rock=limestone" tag instead?
>
>> Simple and logical appears always to work best.
>
>Indeed, I agree.  But we differ on what we believe is "simple and logical"
>- I think clearly declaring the context of the tag is much more simple and
>logical than having a mess of identically named tags, potentially meaning
>totally different things depending on a context provided by another tag
>which isn't obviously providing the context.

I'll guess we will agree to disagree then. If it works for you ane the other
climbers amongst the contributors then of course you can do what works for
you :-)

>If there was a *single* "type=" tag that always describes the context of
>the whole object, then I might agree that namespacing is unnecessary, but
>there isn't, so I don't. :)
>
>e.g. type=highway:motorway, type=waterway:river, type=railway:line,
>type=piste, etc.

We would be back where we started 3 years go. "type" is no different from
"class", the previous method of tagging which didn't scale easily.

Cheers

Andy