Hi,

>> 1) We clarify that a Derived Database is only deems to exist when the
>> martial changes have occurred to the content of the DB, but not if the
>> dataset has merely been processed into a different format.
>
> On the face of it this sounds reasonable, although I can see there being
> some contention over what counts as a "material difference".
>
> To give a concrete example, similar to the routing service Frederik
> mentioned, I would like to be able to use OSM data for my company's
> (commercial) application.

[...]

You say your example is about "lossy compression", but this may not
always be the case - simplification algorithms can be arbitrarily
complex and time consuming. You might also, for example, make a single
geometry from connecting ways that bear the same name and apply other
non-trivial operations which don't technically "enrich" the data as they
operate solely on the OSM input, but which still represent significant
know-how and/or computing power.

Question is: Is it our aim to force OSM users to donate this know-how
and/or computing power to the project by requesting that the resulting
data bases - even though containing only of OSM with no added input or
"no material difference" - be share-aliked, or is it ok for us to say
that unless additional inputs come into play, a note like "just take the
motorway data from a planet file and apply reasonable simplification" is
sufficient?

For some use cases, this might be quite a big difference.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"