Would it be ok to edit the data without moving it? i.e. add extra tags
to the data.

If so, I think that it makes sense to import it - as there would be no
reason to move a node that is already correct.

If no extra tags can be added and the data can not be edited in any way,
then perhaps this is better in separate shape file. When setting up
mapnik there are some shapefiles anyway (e.g. world boundaries) so would
it make much difference if there were are few more?