I share the discomfort of others about truly non-editable imported data.
I have found a number of errors in MassGIS data, although the vast
majority of it seems very good.

Two approaches come to mind:

  1.
   a. Have a way to have a separate database with such data.

   b. Have a way to have whiteout objects in the main database signifying
      a virtual delete of an object in the previous layer.

   c. Let editors see the previous data as read-only, but support deleting it.

  2.

    as above, but instead of separate databases, use tags in the main db.

So the data is immutable in some sense, but we could decide not to
include some object.