> So you're saying that highway=cycleway is not intended for ways
> which
> are for bicycles?  What an ... interesting interpretation!

I think mainly/exclusively may overstress the exclusively bit. I
think generally if a bicycle and a pedestrian can use a way, but
cars can't then highway=cycleway (foot=yes, bicycle=yes) is a better
choice than highway=footway (foot=yes, bicycle=yes). As has been
said, pedestrians can also walk on most roads in the UK, yet we
don't tag those highway=footway (foot=yes, motorcar=yes). I see
highway=path as a handy shortcut like highway=road for tagging
something until a 'proper' tag can be assigned, though I realise not
everyone will agree...

Ed