Brian Quinion wrote:
>> Imo, yes, you should put all those details onto the objects that carry
>> addr:housenumber (either nodes or building outlines). That's the method
>> intended by the documentation and I don't see a good reason for not
>> sticking to it in this case.
>
> inconsistent duplication.

I'd accept inconsistent duplication as an argument against using
addr:street at all and in favor of associatedStreet relations. I'd also
accept it for addr:city vs. boundary polygons.

But as an argument for moving address details to the interpolation ways?
It's at most a factor 2 for duplications, that doesn't really change
much. You will want some checks no matter whether it's 10000 or 20000
addr:street entries in a city.

Considering that this question is not decisive for the amount of
duplication, other aspects are more relevant here. Namely:
- 1 way of doing it is better than 2 ways of doing it
- usability (for example: use the same JOSM presets for housenumbers
with and without interpolation way attached to them; no partial copy of
attributes required when removing an interpolation way)

> Discarding all data that doesn't perfectly conform to the
> specification would remove quite a large percentage - this case alone
> accounts for around 3% of the data.

These percentages might decrease if people actually had an incentive to
create data conforming to the specification (such as applications only
accepting data that does). 3% doesn't sound that impressive, btw. Is
that before or after performing interpolation?

Tobias Knerr