>> that you can ignore tags on the way just doesn't work.  Your advise
> Do you have numbers for that?

There are, as of last Wednesday:

46899 uses with addr:street in this way I described
209340 uses with addr:street used to link a building outline to a street
2947067 uses with addr:street used to link a node to a street

Because of the duplication the 46899 way uses actually relate to 83579
equivalent nodes (for comparison) and while this is definitely a far
smaller number than the original usage - it is still large in OSM
terms.

>> also contradicts the definition on wiki.
> Somebody must have changed the Wiki. It used to be different. I have
> changed it back.

I would argue that you have just removed the documentation for how
people are using the tag.

>> Putting the tags on the way prevents inconsistency and duplication.
> Duplication is good. It helps with finding errors.

No, duplication is almost always bad (caching may be an exception).
Inconsistent data is the enemy of all good database management because
you can't tell what it means and if data changes it is easy to miss
changing it in multiple places.  But this may be a religious war there
is no point in having, although I am, of course, right :)

>> I mean use a polygon / relation to create a polygon for the place (in
>> this case Osijek).  The street/house is then known to be within the
>> town because it is inside the town polygon.
>
> Ok, thats a different issue. If you already have, say, an area with
> landuse=residential for the town, you could also tag it with this data.
> But its totally undefined what this is supposed to mean. If people just
> put those tags anywhere its hard to make sure the right meaning is
> understood. Depending on whether a way is closed and on other tags this
> way has, different things could be meant. Say the motorway around London
> is tagged with addr:postcode, does this mean that everything inside it,
> has this postcode? Probably not. But what if it is also tagged with a
> boundary tag?

The consensus use of the boundary=administrative relation seems to me
to be clearly and (unusually!) consistent.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:boundary

The meaning of a place polygon is also clearly described:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place

--
 Brian