On 27 November 2010 08:45, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
> I'd much rather see a relative completeness grid map to inspire people to go
> out and visit those grids that seem less than perfect.

There's a tool I'd like to see available, with it own data store, that
overlays the main database.  I'd try and write it myself, but I'd suck
at it.

I'd like a map that I can go to, draw a polygon, add a date, and
declare that every street in that area is mapped/checked as per that
date.  You can have various levels of completeness if you want -
mapped, mapped and named, all turn restrictions, etc; but just
checking that all the roads exist is a good start.  The no-name map
and similar can take it from there.

I happened to be in a area recently I mapped some time ago, so I
checked an area where developers were working at the time.  They seem
to have stopped, no new roads have been added since.  But because I
have nothing new to add, there's no sign on the map that I checked it
last week, nothing in that area is newer than 18 months. In a
completeness grid (or on OSM), this area would look unfinished. I
guess one day when the housing market picks up a bit, it will get new
roads eventually, but for now it is actually correct.

The other thing that would be nice in the same tool would be the
ability to add a marker were a check will be needed in the future. If
you know something will need mapping in a month or two (or six), mark
it down as a reminder that anybody will be able to see when the time
is up.

I'd really like to be able to bring up a version of the map, with
colour shaded backgrounds that show how long ago an area was last
declared checked, and maybe some markers were people think something
is going to need to be looked at.  I keep something like this on paper
for my immediate area, but a group tool would be more useful.

Stephen