On Nov 26, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:

> ...and some metric that tells you that the data covers 99.1273% of reality.
> fwiw. But there's a point there, serious users want to know more about
> quality than they can find out easily right now. How you define quality,
> that's another discussion.

And that's kind of the problem - what is it?

Everyone wants a simple definition and metric but it just doesn't exist.

Even when you compare to ground truth, commercial providers are almost as wrong
as they are right. That means if OSM has 100 turn restrictions and they have
100 it doesn't tell you very much about which ones are right and which are
wrong. Which is counter-intuituve and hard to explain when advocating OSM as a
source.

> Martijn van Exel +++ m...@rtijn.org
> laziness – impatience – hubris
> http://schaaltreinen.nl | http://martijnvanexel.nl |
> http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
> twitter / skype: mvexel
> flickr: rhodes
>

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM, SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:
> Speaking personally about what large orgs and what they want, I think it's
> pretty simple. Have a look at commercial data and OSM and do a diff, what are
> the main things missing? Addressing for geocoding and turn restrictions for
> routing.
>

> On Nov 26, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Ed Avis wrote:
>
> > I think everyone agrees that detailed legal discussion belongs on the legal
> > list.
> >
> > Questions such as how any licence transition should proceed, deletion of
> > existing
> > bits of map, and how to organize the voting process are not legal arcana but
> > questions of project governance, and surely belong on this list.
> >
> > I am sorry I asked about what Microsoft and others would like to see from
> > OSM's
> > licensing terms.  I hoped that some concrete answers would help discussion
> > move on from the mostly fixed positions and legal nitpicking we see on the
> > legal
> > mailing list (of which I am just as guilty as anyone else).  But I guess the
> > big mapping sites are not willing to make a public statement for fear of
> > being
> > seen to influence the project.  That is a shame, since we are somewhat in
> > the
> > dark about what the rest of the world thinks.
> >
> > --
> > Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>

> Steve
>
> stevecoast.com