On 15 June 2011 14:41, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> There have been several attempts to engage with OS, if I remember
> correctly, both by LWG and by individual mappers.  They've been
> resistant.

There would presumably be no need to "engage with OS" if LWG was happy
that the OS OpenData License was compatible with the proposed CTs  and
ODbL+DbCL licenses. So can we take it from this that LWG's position is
that under the current license from OS, OS OpenData is not compatible
with the CTs and/or and ODbL+DbCL?

We really need a straight answer on this now. If LWG does not believe
OS OpenData is compatible, then there is going to be a big problem for
the UK map,* which will need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
If LWG does, and can support its reasoning (or, better still, offer
indemnity to mappers who follow its advice), then we could save
ourselves a lot of bother here. Myself and others who have used OS
OpenData would be able to safely sign the CTs, can continue to map
when phase 4 starts, and can have our OS OpenData and other
contributions retained going forward.

If LWG is not prepared to make such a statement on whether they
believe OS OpenData is compatible, how can it justify forcing
individual mappers to make essentially the same decision when they
have to chose whether or not to sign the CTs?

Robert.

* Don't be fooled into thinking this is a small problem because of the
small number of CT rejections in the UK. A lot of mappers have signed
the CTs even though they have made use of OS OpenData in their
contributions.

--
Robert Whittaker