It is not entirely correct that it is not possible to have a
distributed editing API, for example on osmosa.net, but that would
require a heavy redesign of the database, server and API parts of OSM.
Firstly to have this setup work properly one would need a clustered
database, where the database on osmosa.net to be a node of the same
database as on OSM.org. That would in most cases (though I havn't
researched into it) mean a redesign from postgreSQL to the clustered
database. Than all API calls must be redesigned to communicate to the
correct database, and significant changes in database architecture and
API would mean that most editors would need a complete brushup on the
way they commit data to OSM.

The answer as I see it is more in the line of "not possible today, and
not likely to be"