This is precisely what I've seen in Haiti and discussed with a number of the
local contributors, too.

That is: as the contributors' tech-savvyness decreases we see a clear hike in
various sorts of data problems.
Bundle that with not-so-large active user base (of people who do quality
fixing) and you have a problematic situation at hand.

There were some really good replies earlier (imho) to the questions of
moderation/quality_checking (I think this was a little while after SoTM --
check talk@osm archive if u missed them and are interested).

What I'd love to see and what the contributors here would also want to have is
a system where contributors can flag their edits with something that would que
the changesets in question to an (open) review stack.
This kind of review que wouldn't actually moderate anything but would simply
flag the changesets for review ("quality ensurance", if u may).

This should most certainly b opt-in in general but imho it could and should b
used used as default for eg situations where osm is taught in the classroom.

I'd also very much like to see some (open) mechanism where users that cause
problems time and again could be flagged like this.

Not having _something_ like this is a major problem.

Example: I just spent nearly half day yesterday fixing one beginner's mess in
PaP and am seeing that wasting time on things like this eats badly from the
time that people who end up fixing them could have for creating neat things for
OSM be it fixing/creating tools or partnerships, coordinating, or actual
mapping.

Since I'm not a developer I can't unfortunately create anything that would
solve the problem. But could someone tell me how much it would/could cost to
create something that would?

I want to emphasize that this is something that not only the more advanced
people would like to have (in the hopes that it would give them more time for
doing something more useful, essentially, to b more productive for the project)
but it's also what many regular mappers have specifically asked for (in Haiti)
as they don't want to break things.

Cheers,
-Jaakko

Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel
--
Mobile: +509-37-26 91 54, Skype/GoogleTalk: jhelleranta