I remember this topic being on the mailing lists in the past.

I agree with the rules:
* Don't get shot
* "On the ground" rule

If you walk past a building that says "Toy Factory" but everyone knows it
is a secret military base because of the armed guards. You map it as a toy
factory.

If it has signs around it saying "Military Property: do not enter". then
you can map it as landuse=military, even if you don't know what it is or
what's in it.

It may be wise not to map the roads and buildings inside, depending on the
country and security sensitivity of the site.
I have mapped a whole golf course within a military site(UK), but I know
that to be easy to see from the public road, so not a threat to national
security http://osm.org/go/erUlTzkI

If these areas are mapped it's helpful so you can avoid hiking through them.
If maps can't be used in certain countries, set up a map render for your
site that draws them as playgrounds or whatever.

There are some discussions here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:military
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=3820

Fun antidotes/stories that can be told over a beer:
* A well known London mapper (not me) went on holiday to Egypt, did some
mapping, it wasn't till he got home that he learnt foreigners holding
having a GPS alone was illegal!
* At night I've covertly mapped some embassies in London using a camera &
notepad, along a police-guarded road. Earlier in the day another mapper had
been told not to map there, I took up the challenge.

Happy Mapping,
Gregory

Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com