On 2013-02-05 20:15, Clifford Snow wrote:
Yet Google gets the press that thanks to them, North Korea has now been mapped. In an ideal world, the local community should be the lead communicator. But having a PR staff for OSM is just smart. Good press is going to help us raise money for new servers and other infrastructure we'll need. Lacking a local mapping community a PR staff could be the catalyst for the creation of new mapping communities.

when i hear PR, i think edward bernays [1], freudian psyhocanalysis, anti-democratic impulses and mass manipulation. the century of the self [2] by adam curtis shows why, it talks extensively about PR and bernays in particular.

of bernays: "He felt this manipulation was necessary in society, which he regarded as irrational and dangerous as a result of the 'herd instinct' that [Wilfred] Trotter had described" [1]

perhaps we could stay away from that model of behaviour?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays
[2] http://archive.org/details/AdamCurtis-TheCenturyOfTheSelf
free to download, and legal too.

--