Guillaume Pratte wrote:
> How can users actively contribute to the map if they need to rely
> to a competitive service for their daily needs?

No-one has said that.

We want everyone to be using OpenStreetMap data. But OpenStreetMap is much
more than openstreetmap.org. Just because it isn't on osm.org doesn't mean
it's a "competitive service".

> What do you think?

What do I think? I think code counts - good quality, robust, deployable
code. Routing will happen on the front page pretty much instantly if someone
comes up with a top-quality UI and the resources to make it happen. So far
they haven't. You can have all the mailing list discussions like this in the
world, but they don't make anything happen in themselves apart from,
usually, sapping the energy of those who _do_ code.

Richard