Simon Poole wrote:
As has been pointed out
before, the competitive landscape has changed a lot with google becoming
the near monopolist at least for online mapping services and maybe we
have to rethink

Cherry picking the quotes ...

Google may be the 'first choice' but they are also in many cases simply the worse choice. One of my own use of OSM is to provide location maps for client websites. I make sure that they are on google and google+ but in MANY cases when you zoom in on google all you get is a white area and no indication of how to get to the premises.

At the risk of being acused of advertising ... but in this case google also has duff info which we have tried to correct several times over the last year or so!
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.10962&lon=-2.07388&zoom=18&layers=M
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ohm%27s+mowers&ll=52.10966,-2.074407&spn=0.001341,0.003707&hq=ohm%27s+mowers&hnear=Broadway,+Worcestershire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19

I then add a 'get directions' button to the contact page and take people to a routing engine that actually knows the road a building is on ;)

I'm happy to serve up my own tiles if needs be (the new server has been rending the UK since Monday!), but the services available do the job quite nicely at the moment.

Education is the key here, and I certainly think that while we NEED a good map server, making openstreetmap.org a link to a good getting started page does make perfect sense. and add map.openstreetmap.org for the map direct and keep wiki.openstreetmap.org as the documentation front page. http://switch2osm.org/ is actually a cleaner front end at the moment?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL