Hi folks,

This is my quick interjection to give kudos to everyone in this
conversation for keeping what could have become a hostile or defensive
thread really constructive and forward looking. As someone who spends a lot
of time complaining about this mailing list, you've all done an excellent
job of proving me wrong here, so I stand corrected, and appreciate it! This
is a really great community :)

This seems like a good time to mention that on the talk-US list we're
working on planning a Birthday Sprint in August to celebrate OSM's 9th
birthday[1]. The general idea is for folks with software projects to gather
their communities (or for folks looking to help to find a project that
needs them) and take a weekend to write some code! It won't be an in-person
event, necessarily, but I think there could be a real benefit from more
eyes than usual being focused on development projects over the course of
the August 10-11. In addition, we're working on making sure that there are
tasks queued up for non-developers who want to participate.

Anyway, it sounds like there are a lot of ideas on this thread that are
already in progress, or are ripe to get started. So I hope that we'll be
able to include them in the Birthday Sprint!

Cheers,
Kathleen

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2013-July/011355.html