Lester:

> The about page is VERY short on help to get to other material (
but I
> do not
> object to advertising sponsors on that page ), and I probably need
> try the
> site as a cold user to se if registering a new account is any more
> helpful, but
> trying to establish what is needed to help WITHOUT registering is
not
> looking
> good. It's not the interface itself that is the problem, but
simply what
> material is displayed in those first couple of clicks! Perhaps all
I am
> asking
> for is a simple link to 'other services' in that welcome box which
take
> you to a
> wiki for accessing routers and other useful tools?

Perhaps click "Help" rather than "About" - that has the simple links
to help and the wiki.

I am in two minds about routing on the main OSM website. Yes, it can
be done, and it can be useful for a mapper to check connectivity of
what has been mapped, and whether turn restrictions work, etc, but
then you need to consider supporting for every transport mode (or
just pick "car" to start with and wait for all the complaints from
cyclists, pedestrians and lorry drivers moaning that the new routing
feature is useless for them...) But there are other sites already
which use OSM for routing and it might be better to use whichever of
those best suits your preferred use case.

Ed