Paul Norman wrote:
I know that there is a lot of support for NOT providing services
I'd say there's a wide desire for offering services like OWL and routing
on OSM.org. Of course, these take development hours, time, and money, so
a wide desire doesn't translate into actually adding the services.

>but until a suitable replacement can be created for the many thousands of
us
>using embeded maps, maintaining usable operation is important. The
>current changes are not compatible with using the embed function so THAT
>should have beendepricated first and time provided for us to make
>changes to existing usage!
I looked at the embed HTML generated, and I don't see what doesn't work.
All the links are valid, and the page that you land (the front page)
seems more likely to covert the visitor to a mapper, because it now
gives some text to explain where they've ended up.

Some how I don't think we are looking at the new front page the same way ...

It's the very fact that it IS designed to make 'convert to mapper' the REQUIRED result that is the problem. What is preferable is a half way house that provides the information ON THE ONE PAGE that can be used as the 'Larger View' from the embeded versions. I don't see why simply restoring the old front page for that purpose should be any additional work? The map used on that page can be the new view and switches to the mapping front end when someone has time to follow that path. I can see a compromise that gives an information panel to the right in place of the welcome box but supporting THAT needs work, where a simple 'old.osm' url would be a lot less work?

It sounds as if I'm going to have to create my own site to support this ... While I can see that on the whole the new front end has a number of nice features it IS too targeted at a different goal, and as an information page for OSM it fails miserably so something better is needed! The wiki front page is a bit of a mess, but is much more useful now, but the fundamental problem of taking new mappers to LOCAL support is even less well supported now? It seems that everybody has to work in English if they want to use OSM :(

And I still need to find out where the 'export' is intended to go? Is that were we should be able to create embeded frames or somewhere else? Share does not provide the material and hacking the code manually is not something novice users can do easily. In the past my clients could play with this, but at present there is nothing suitable.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL