Hi,

On 08/29/2014 08:10 PM, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Lets just step back and reflect on this for a minute.

My overarching concern is that if this import is done, future imports
will use the "but we also have Wikidata links" argument for justification.

What we have here is a third-party database whose object identifiers we
add to OSM as tags in order to make linking things easier.

This is something that has often been requested by people but never been
granted on a large scale because we always said that it would be an
abuse of our database and our mapper's patience to offload everyone's
and their dog's linking requirements onto us.

Imagine every single stretch of road being tagged with three different
proprietary (or at least competing) identifiers of traffic information
providers, or similar payload tacked onto OSM.

I'm not saying no to a Wikidata import but I would like the proponents
to state clearly what makes this import special - why this and not, for
example, Ordnance Survey TOIDs or IDs of Mapillary photos?

I would like to define high hurdles for such an import. The import costs
us a lot (in terms of mappers having to spend time to understand the
tags and know how to handle them when they edit an object, more quality
checks, etc.), and it must be proven - or at least expected - to offset
that cost by making itself useful. It's ok of this particular import
clears the hurdles but at least I can then use the hurdles if the next
guy in line comes along and wants to import his keys too.

Also, I note that Rob wrote:

"We have our own restrictions (verifiable on the ground, not changing to
frequently) in OSM. A link to wikidata allows us to continue with these
restrictions but still allow people to get at interesting non-geographic
data."

And Andrew said:

"A few more points: This isn’t a deletionists’ charter and we shouldn’t
rush to unload any tagging onto Wikidata without discussing the removal
very carefully."

I am personally very much in favour of "unloading" non-geo-database
tagging elsewhere. We started with marking restaurants (useful) and
recording their names (also useful), classing them into fast-food or
"proper" restaurants, then tagging what cuisine they have and how to
contact them for booking a table, and meanwhile we're recording whether
they have vegan food and what their opening times are and whetehr you
can pay with bitcoin. We don't currently have anywhere to "offload" that
information which is all useful for certain use cases, but once we have
a working integration, I should very much hope that stuff like the menu
and the opening times will be recorded either in OSM or in Wikidata but
not both.

Allow me one question in that matter as a Wikidata ignorant though: Are
there any notability rules in Wikidata? For example, if we should one
day decide that restaurant opening times should not be recorded in OSM
but on Wikidata, can it then happen that someone records a restaurant's
opening times on Wikidata only to have that information kicked out by
someone else again for lack of relevance?

Because if that were the case, then Wikidata would be relatively useless
as a general offloading point for non-geodata.

Bye
Frederik