On 01/09/14 02:28, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
> 3. You fear that linking to Wikidata opens up the floodgates for linking
> from OSM to other databases (such as national registries and the like).
> But actually, it makes much more sense to link from Wikidata, being a
> database about data, to those other databases instead of from OSM. In
> fact, Wikidata already has many of properties (like keys in OSM) that
> provide links to other databases[1][2]. We can leverage that in OSM by
> linking to Wikidata.

As I said earlier, wikimedia DO finally seam to be learning, but they
have a long way to go before I will waste time contributing again. That
THEY control what they allow to be covered is my only problem here and
if I see any 'delete as not notable enough' on links .... History is
important and just because it does not fit into someone view of the
world is irrelevant. wikidata is probably a knee-jerk reaction to the
wiping a vast swathes of history out of wikipedia as it does seem to be
a little better?

I have no problem linking to other data, and other registries ARE
already using OSM to provide their graphical data. Wikidata actually
needs a tag for an OSM reference ( a quick search showed nothing? ) and
then we can access that data as we can other registries using OSM as
well. It would be nice to have the same link on geonames which provides
other key cross references already ... such as administrative hierarchy!
For the time being I will concentrate on that as a cross reference to
obtain timezone data for OSM.

If wikidata is so open, then every tag added here should have the
reciprocal tag added there, then I'll believe it's worth using :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL