Hi,

On 08/30/2014 11:58 PM, Edward Betts wrote:
> Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> What we have here is a third-party database whose object identifiers we
>> add to OSM as tags in order to make linking things easier.
>>
>> This is something that has often been requested by people but never been
>> granted on a large scale because we always said that it would be an
>> abuse of our database and our mapper's patience to offload everyone's
>> and their dog's linking requirements onto us.
>
> What about all the references listed in this table?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref#Key_variations
>
> There are 79k instances of the ref:INSEE key in OpenStreetMap.
>
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/ref%3AINSEE

As far as I am aware, the external ID situations we currently have are
those where the external ID came in with an import (i.e. someone
imported schools and they came with a certain tag or so). No practical
use has been demonstrated but people like to have them nonetheless,
"just in case".

I don't know of any instance of automated (or large-scale manual)
affixing of external IDs to existing OSM objects, at least none that was
discussed.

Bye
Frederik