On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think eventually chains will see the light, and publish their locations
>> in an open format compatible manner.
>> At that point a quick cross check with OSM would clear up most of the
>> issues.
>>

> I think this depends on the chain and how much they care about this.  I
> believe there was a previous import of Lowe's locations, and this data was
> *woefully* inaccurate.  At least in Oklahoma, these often ended up well
> into the "close but no cigar" territory, often being blocks away and in
> nonsensical spots kinda-sorta close, but not close enough to get accurate
> routing.  On the other hand, there was a pretty nicely detailed import of
> Love's truck stops a while back that included a fair amount of detail, for
> which the only issue I take with it is that it mistagged most as caravan
> sites instead of service plazas.

The import style I've used ignores the store's geometry or position after
the first import.

In other words, we can trust the store's "store finder" to have reasonably
accurate information about opening hours and which store locations
are currently open for business.   Any the additional imports copy over
opening_hours type stuff, but leave the OSM geometry alone.
If the chain lists a location as 'closed', that generates note to a local
mapper.

--
Armchair mapping of chain stores faces another problem: while some chains
have iconic buildings, on occasion they sell